lastminute newsParis Attack Accused Charged With Attempted Terrorist Killings: Officials SonDakika-Haberleri.Net
A man who wounded two people in a meat cleaver attack in Paris last week has been charged with "attempted murder with relation to a terrorist enterprise," French anti-terrorist prosecutors told AFP on Tuesday.
A judge also placed the man -- who has identified himself as 25-year-old Pakistani-born Zaheer Hassan Mehmood -- under judicial investigation for criminal association with terrorists, the prosecuting authority PNAT said, adding that a request had been made for him to be remanded in custody.
Earlier, the suspect admitted he lied to police when he said he was 18 and had entered the country as a minor, the lead prosecutor in the case said.
The assailant in what the French government has called an act of "Islamist terrorism" had identified himself as Hassan A., an 18-year-old born in the Pakistani town of Mandi Bahauddin.
He entered France in 2018 under the false identity that gave him access to social security aid for minors, national anti-terror prosecutor Jean-Francois Ricard told a news conference.